Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Daddy Bucks Allowance System


First, let me start off by saying that my three boys are outside weeding the yard.  Willingly.  With excitement.
J.R. and I started this allowance/chore system today.  I printed our own money called "Daddy Bucks"  Here is a picture of one Daddy Buck. (-: I made ones, fives, and twenties because I only bought three colors of paper.
They have always had daily chores, but we've always believed that compensation is for extra work, not daily responsibilities. Clinging to that theory, but being a little smarter and more flexible, I came up with this system.  They are always begging me, like all children who have discovered the power of cash, for toys, treats, new clothes, new shoes, and plain old cash.  Not only am I sick of the begging, but I'm sick of the spending.  We say no far more often than yes, but we have noticed that between the three of them, it has really been adding up with all the treats at the baseball games, the gas station candy bars, the ever-inflated movie treats, the sodas, etc. In an attempt to cut back on all the sugary sweets, they can now earn the cash they so desperately desire and pay for their own treats, toys and extra clothes.


THE DADDY BUCKS ALLOWANCE SYSTEM
WEEKLY allowance is $5.00
DAILY Chores:
Unload Dishes
Make Bed
Put away laundry
Clean Room
Brush Teeth
Get ready for bed
Pick up Family Rooms/other rooms
Kiel: wipe off table
Daelan: mop wood
Clear table/Set table
Clean out car
Anything else we say is a DAILY Chore

EXTRA CHORES:
Sweep
Pull Weeds
Dust
Mow lawn
Pick up trash in yard
Clean Bathroom
Windex mirrors
Windex windows
Wash walls
Wipe baseboards
Bring in and put away groceries
Anything else we say is an EXTRA chore


RULES:
• Each Daddy Buck equals a real dollar.  (We printed the money because it's easier than carrying around real cash that I would surely spend) You can cash out anytime you want to.
• If you lose your Daddy Bucks, it's the same as losing a real dollar.  You don't get it back.
• You won't get extra money for doing basic chores, but you can lose money for NOT doing them.
• Every time you cash out, you will pay taxes and tithing, plus put some into the bank for savings:
10% to tithing
10% to savings
5% to taxes
The rest is yours to keep
• Most chores earn $1/hr. unless we decide your work has earned more
PUNISHMENTS:
• Fine: You can be fined at anytime for disobeying, fighting, not doing your chores or any other thing Mom or Dad say you will be fined for.
• For the Ultimate Punishment, you will get a BLACK OUT card (black rectangles of paper). This means that you have to give HALF of your money earned back to the bank until your punishment is over. For example, if you get in big trouble, I will say, “You just got yourself a Black Out Card for a week.” I will immediately put half of the money you have in your wallet back in the bank. The black out card will stay in your wallet for seven days and you have to give half back of any money you earn until your time is up.

We have mini 13 pocket expanding files for wallets and a bigger one for the bank. 

So there it is.  We'll see if it lasts, but I thought I'd share this in case anyone else needs a chore system.



2 comments:

Christine said...

I love this idea. I showed Darren and we think it is an awesome idea. I think we might try something like this. I called you but I am not sure if I have the right number. E-mail me your number.

Talk to you soon,

Christine

Daisy Paige said...

Wow, your system sounds awesome! I especially love the tithing, taxes, and savings part of it. I'm so grateful to have friends and family that have been parents for a while so that they can pass on all their secrets to me!